Session S3b (Monday, 9:30am, Paterno 104)

P119: Delaware State University and the Second Morrill Act of 1890

Andrew Goudy (Delaware State University, USA)

The State College for Colored Students, now known as Delaware State University, was established May 15, 1891 by the Delaware General Assembly under the provisions of the Morrill Act of 1890.  Five (5) courses of study leading to a baccalaureate degree were offered: Agricultural, Chemical, Classical, Engineering, and Scientific.  In 1944 the College received provisional accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and in 1947 the name of the institution was changed to Delaware State College.  On July 1, 1993, Delaware State College turned another chapter in its history, when then Governor Thomas Carper signed a name change into law, renaming the College to Delaware State University.  Over the years the University has grown in stature as a center for teaching, research, and public service.  The University currently offers fifty-six (56) undergraduate degrees, including Chemistry (which is approved by the ACS).  It also offers twenty-two (22) master’s degrees and five (5) doctoral degrees.  The Chemistry department now offers MS and PhD degrees in Applied Chemistry.  Dr. Harriet Williams was a symbol of excellence in chemistry and education at DSU.  She attended preparatory school at Delaware State and graduated with the first class to receive bachelor’s degrees in 1934.  She returned to Delaware State in 1946 to teach chemistry and she later served as Chair of the department for 35 years.  An overview of the past and present state of the University, the Chemistry department, and Dr. Harriet William’s contributions will be presented.

Technical Symposia Schedule

Technical Symposia Schedule

Workshop Schedule

Workshop Schedule

News + Events Header Image